Monday, July 1, 2013

Adventuring // La Brea Tar Pits During Lunch

La Brea Tar Pits- Park Entrance

Not everyone can say they spent their lunch break hanging out with mastodons and sabertooth tigers.

I can.

La Brea Tar Pits- Mastodons

There are a bunch of things I like about the place I'm interning at right now, but one of the more unique aspects of this office is that it's right across the street from LACMA & the La Brea Tar Pits.

Hence, the adventuring during my lunch break. Who needs food when you could be exploring?

La Brea Tar Pits- Pawprints

Likes //
+ no admission fee-- you just walk right in at the corner of Curson & Wilshire. And there's a fruit truck outside that sells bags of cut fruit for a few bucks. Might try that sometime.
+ the prehistoric mammals reenacting their slow demise. Not that I like that they went extinct, but whoever made the mastodon models had a flair for the dramatic. Just look at the panic and fear on that baby mammoth's face. *sadness*
+ that roof walkway. The shadows cast by the metal bars make me happy.
+ the quiet. Even though there are kids around, with parentals and on field trips, they're not very noisy. I think they're trying too hard to breathe without inhaling too much tar smell to attempt talking at the same time.

La Brea Tar Pits- Museum Entrance

Dislikes //
+ the smell of tar. Which is a problem. Since the entire place is planned around a tar pit. *wrinkles nose* It's like the entire place is constantly being repaved. But it's not. Ick.
+ the scary burbles of tar that show up randomly in and around the park. Like, next to the trash can near the museum entrance. Or in the middle of Wilshire Blvd. Or at the crosswalk I need to go through to get to work. Granted, the bigger leaks are cordoned off with Caution tape and cones, but when the cones are coated black with tar, it's not super comforting.

La Brea Tar Pits- Roof Canopy Walkway

I didn't get a chance to actually go into the museum this time around, so that'll just have to wait for another lunch break. Wandering the entire perimeter of the park took me about twenty minutes, so I still had time to grab food. Happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment