Saturday, November 5, 2011

Mysteries of the Male Mind: Thrill of the Chase?

Pinned Image
{it does seem that way, doesn't it?}
Boys.

I'll never understand them.

Maybe it's the fact that most of my cousins are boys {there're a lot of them. Cousins. My dad's the youngest of eight kids and my mom has two brothers herself}. Maybe it's because I was an absolute tomboy/geek during elementary and was the only girl in my grade who could throw a perfect spiral on a football and listen without squealing or giggling when being trusted with the secrets of who the guys liked in our class. Maybe it's because most of my closest friends are guys.

Maybe it's all three and more.

Point is, I happen to know that boys are more complicated than they seem. They can deny it all they want, but, dude. They think about things and internalize them and contemplate more than almost any of the girls I know.

And they'll never admit it.

Personally, I think it's easier to confide in a guy friend than it is to tell secrets to a girl one. They listen. And they usually don't judge.

What girl do you know is able to do that?

Plus, it's always nice to hear a different viewpoint on things. It's amazing what kind of information you can learn if you straight up ask a guy friend what guys think about {insert topic here}. They're honest and will give you their opinion on the subject matter, and then turn the tables on you and ask you what you think.

There're several topics I could branch this into, but at the moment, the one that's bothering me is...

Why do guys go for the girls who don't show interest in them and ignore the girls who do?

{No, Steben, I'm not asking for myself. Goodness.}

Now, this isn't something that I just noticed. Because I was that geeky tomboy back in elementary {and sort of middle school as well}, I spent a lot of time observing the people around me. As I see it now, looking back, it was a great way of saving myself from all the emotional angst and whathaveyou that came with relationships because I could learn from other people's mistakes without having to actually go through them myself.

That being said, I learned a lot by people-watching.

And my question above really is the case, I'd say, about 80% of the time.

I don't understand it.

I suppose you could blame it on 'thrill of the chase', but...

Mm.

I guess why it's bothering me now is that I can see this happening once again with some of my friends. I guess some things never change. I don't want any of them getting hurt. But it seems rather inevitable from the look of things now:

Person A likes Person B, but Person B seems interested in Person C, who knows Person A likes Person B. Persons A & C are good friends, so Person C is trying not to get between anyone and thus not showing interest in Person B, even though Person C really does like Person B as well. Person A doesn't know Person C likes Person B.

My, this sounds complicated.

But hopefully all identities are concealed?

I don't know. I feel like something should be done to keep everyone from getting hurt, but I really don't see where intervention would fit in this crazy picture.

I guess events will play out as they will.

Chips falling where they may and all that.

For all their deep contemplation and thinking, sometimes boys miss what's in front of their faces. Such enigmas.

Let's hope for the best, I guess.


Boys.

I'll never understand them.

No comments:

Post a Comment