Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Better Than Cookies

{Mmm}
While I wouldn't consider myself a brownie connoisseur by any means, simply due to the fact that I don't usually play with the recipe and my brownies come from a box {sacrilege, I know}, I am rather good at the brownies I do make.

Thus, here are some tips for those of you who might be interested!
 ---
 
{we make a great pear!}

1. If you'd like to make your brownies slightly more healthy {although I stand by my opinion that chocolate is always healthy}, you can substitute the 1/2 cup of vegetable oil with a 4 oz container of apple sauce. If that sounds kind of complicated, it's not really. A 4 oz container of apple sauce is how much is in one of those kiddie-sized things that come in a six-pack at the grocery store. See? Already prepackaged. Perfect!

Note, however, that if you don't use any oil at all and put in only apple sauce, you will get cake-like brownies that have a marginally heavier quality than cake. In other words, a bit of a weird texture. But if you just need that chocolate fix and you don't want to deal with the possible consequences, this apple sauce substitution works.

---

2. When the box says to "Grease (or use cooking spray) bottom of pan," do just that. Don't spray the sides, too. I keep forgetting and the spray makes the brownie batter slide back down when it's trying to rise. Hence, flat brownies. Sadness.

---

{whisk}

3. Take a finger to the bowl. Brownie batter is the only uncooked form of a baked good that I'll eat. Possibly a bad habit, but since the ratio of egg to other ingredients is smaller here than in cookie dough, I don't think it'll kill me. Mmm. And it does taste yummy.


---


Aiight, let's try to settle the great debate...

Brownies or Cookies?

My vote's for brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment