Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Still Alive, Promise

SuperDog // Zoe with a Super Hero Mask

I had the urge to write. I can't promise you it will be anything that will change your life or inspire you to get out there and adventure, but it will end this unintentional month-long hiatus, so I still consider that a win.

It's been almost a month since I came home. This wasn't exactly part of the plan, coming home after college, but if the last four years have taught me anything, it's that sometimes the deviations from The Plan are the most unexpected blessings. It's when you don't think you're where you should be that you come across something even better. So I've learned to just go with it.

It's funny, I actually like in-person job interviews. I think I'm decently good at them. I like meeting new people, small talk doesn't make me cringe, and the things I majored in during college did a lot to prepare me for the type of questions asked during an interview. I actually like interviewing {both as an interviewee and interviewer; each has its perks}.

Cover letters, on the other hand, are the bane of my professional existence. I've said it here on the blog often enough, that cover letters are high on the list of Things That Drive Me Batty. Finding that careful balance between informative vs bragging and interested vs desperate is a fine line to walk. Which past experiences best portray my knowledge of this position; is it better for me to discuss personality traits that make me a good fit or hard facts of what I've accomplished in the past; how do I explain in less than a paragraph just why I love the company so much without sounding like a groupie; how much enthusiasm should I show so that I sound excited without losing the professionalism they're looking for as well? *sigh* Cover letters.

College started back up again this week for those still in the lovely institution known as the UC system. Ah, college. *laughs* I'm not actually nostalgic just yet {the fact that I'll never ever have another first day of school probably just hasn't sunk in yet}. I'm rather enjoying the myriad of Facebook pictures, statuses, and events concerning the beginning of another year that no longer involve my participation. Welcome Week can be rather stressful; so many new people to meet in such a small period of time... so it's nice to sit back and watch the younger ones handle it. They've come a long way in the last year or three that we've known them. Proud of them. *patpat*

I do miss our class a bit though. It's weird going from seeing them all the time {literally, in Steph's case since we usually spent most of each day either in class together or just hanging out in her apartment}, to not seeing them at all. One of the things that really makes me notice the separation is the fact that fall TV premieres have started and Steph isn't around to watch New Girl and OUAT with me... silly, I know, but true. Many inside jokes can't be made if you're not watching the shows together. ):

That last month in LA and this being at home business has made me realize how much of an introvert I actually am. Before mid-August, I would have said I was an ambivert, someone who's a bit of both in that I love hanging out with people if they're around, but don't mind peace and quiet either. But now... I've found I'm a bit quieter than I realized. When I had the apartment all to myself, I tended to hermit more than I had expected. It's a strange realization, but one that doesn't fully surprise me. Years of being an only child and a bookworm apparently never really wear off... they just go dormant for a while and then reappear whenever you let them back.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to end this post, since I'm pretty much just rambling, so I guess I'll just say bye and go back to staring at my cover letter now. Byyyyyye.

--

Oh. Sidenote. The parentals and I finally joined the twenty-first century and got smart phones, so now I have an Instagram account. I keep thinking how useful this could've been had I had an account while still in LA because ohhhmygoodness is that campus photogenic. Instead, I now spend most of my time indoors... with my dog. Hence, lots of Zoe pictures. And apologies while I figure out this filtering business. Eventually, it'll stop looking so whacky and be more consistent, but hey. Learning curve.

Instagram // @sammiellers 

No comments:

Post a Comment