Thursday, August 8, 2013

Thoughts // Oversharing

I'm always in awe of those people who can open up their hearts to the world wide web and write such eloquent, honest, soul-searching things about themselves and their thoughts for anyone to read.

I couldn't do that.

My attempts at keeping a journal when I was a kid, hand-writing each thought down in all its brutal honesty and sugar-coating nothing... even those long ago attempts lasted, at best, a day and a half.

Maybe the ability to be truly comfortable in your own skin comes with age and experience, or maybe your tolerance level for {what some would consider} over-sharing is shaped by how you were raised, but either way, I'm not there yet.

And I'm not sure I'll ever be.

Which I'm pretty okay with at the moment.

You know how people have different sides of themselves that they present in specific situations?

Like, you have your high school self and your college self, the self you are around your parents and the self you are around your closest friends, the self you show to the world and the self only you know.

The fact that there are people out there who are able to merge all those selves into just one... it's amazing.

Funnily enough, my favorite blogs to read are the ones that are open, intimate, and give a true glimpse into the everyday lives of the writers. What they're feeling right then about their problems and their loves. The ones whose posts make you teary-eyed by the time you finish reading them. Those are the good ones.

As much as I enjoy the blogs that are all about pretty things and "inspiration," the writers always seem a bit untouchable. Like, I admire them, think they're superawesomeamazing and very cool, and would love to meet them, but I don't get that feeling that we'd be friends, if you know what I mean. Whereas with writers who pen open diaries to the world... I already know so much about them from their posts that I feel like we could be besties.

---

Everything above those last two paragraphs were my thoughts at three in the morning after reading a bit of The Road is Home. Her minimalistic lifestyle is eye-opening.

The last two paragraphs came about after reading my dailies and realizing they fall into two categories-- the ones I skim for the pictures mostly {well, they don't have that much text to read in the first place} and the ones that I spend time on, excited when there's a long text-filled post, reading each paragraph carefully. Oh Joy! falls into the first category, while Under the Sycamore and Elise's blog fall under the second.

No comments:

Post a Comment