Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Again

For me, January isn't really the start of the year. September is. After all, I've spent the majority of my life in school and the school year always begins in the fall. Not in the dead of winter.

Thus, this whole 'Happy New Year!' business is somewhat lost on me. The tradition of making resolutions? Meh. The whole 'clean slate' idea of another year? Not really. I can get behind those fireworks though. Yay fireworks!

As I'm heading towards the non-school part of my life though and realizing that this will be the year where school won't begin again in the autumn, I'm not sure what to think. On the one hand, I love making lists and starting the new year out with a list of things to change or continue does sound appealing. I've read so many different takes on resolutions by bloggers in the last week that they've almost got me convinced I should compile one, too. On the other hand, however, I like the freedom that comes with letting the year take you where it will and learning things along the way. Whimsy, you know? I'd be a fan of yearly recaps instead of resolutions if I thought I could remember everything once December rolled around.

All this to ask one simple question: How long did it take you to finally think of January as the Beginning of the Year?

Will I still get excited towards the end of August forever and ever?

No comments:

Post a Comment