Friday, March 16, 2012

Lessons in Public Relations, Week Ten


1. Just when you start to really enjoy something and get into the swing of things, it's time for the next thing.

This past week was my last week at my internship {at least for now-- I have finals and spring break, so I won't be in LA}, and I was sad to see it go. I like this. Public Relations? It's fun. And it's interesting and the office is never boring to say the least. I may not be perfect at it, as can be seen in the fact that the press release drafts that I write all get editted within an inch of their lives, but it all comes with practice, right?

I'm not sure what I'm doing next quarter. I told myself I'd take a break from interning and working {all of last year and this past fall quarter I had DBM, summer was the Chamber of Commerce and then this quarter I had this PR internship} and just enjoy the summeriness that is LA in the springtime and adventure and explore.

But there are so many opportunities out there. So many places that are willing to take interns that are right up my alley and based here in LA. Granted, I think getting everywhere would be so much easier if I had a car, but since that's an unlikely event, there's always the bus. So many things I could do-- is taking a break and having free time really worth it?

Anyways, my point is that I liked this internship. I'm probably going to go back and do a few more months with them at some point, since I do learn a lot while I'm there and the people are fantastic. I'm sad to not be going there twice a week {although I do enjoy the fact that I don't have to wake up as early}; sign of a good internship? Yes, I think so.

2. Leave with a good impression.

They say that a good first impression is everything, but I'd add that a good last impression is just as important. On my last day at the office, I brought in cookies {since I knew my office wasn't the type to bring cookies in for my last day} and before I left, gave both A & C thank you notes for the wonderfulness they'd shown me over the span of my time with them. Make sure you bring in your business cards as well, since those can leave an impression, too.

3. Make sure to finish everything up by the end of the day.

Obviously. Cause you won't be back for a while.

4. Take a deep breathe after you walk out the door. And relaaax.

Or you know, if you have finals, commence freaking out cause you now have no excuse not to study your butt off.

---

It's been fun. I've probably learned a lot more than simply the things I've been making lists of here, but I think we all learn things unconsciously throughout each day that we don't notice until we use it. Tis nice. Like unexpected presents.

---

The photo above was taken a few weeks ago when it was about 80 degrees here in LA. Cloudless blue skies, bright sunshine, extra day of the year {note the timestamp}... what more could you ask for? Oh. And it's a picture of my bus stop. I've grown somewhat attached to it. *laughs*

{written & posted March 21st}

No comments:

Post a Comment