Monday, March 5, 2012

How I Want to Live My Life: Loving What I Do


I happened upon a friend's tumblr account today and as I was reading further and further into the past, it was interesting to get a glimpse of the types of fears others have about themselves and their future. I think we need to be more open about what freaks us out or is worrying us at the moment because how else can we get advice or comfort or discover that others feel the same way and we're not alone? When you're being the most honest with yourself, that's when you really discover things about you that you didn't realize until you typed it.

One of the things that I really hope for in my life is loving what I do for a living. Whatever the heck it is. Honestly, when people ask me now what I want to do after college, I give this vague answer of "Oh, something in publishing... PR?... Marketing?"

Dude. I have no clue. Or rather, I have wishes and dream jobs, sure, but telling people about them is like asking for them to please pull apart my dreams and point out everything wrong with that ideal picture in my head. Okay, well maybe not that extreme. More like, telling people can either go really well {they have friends/connections in the industry/at the company I want to go into/am interested in} or really awful {"Whyyy?"}. I'd rather not risk it for now.

---

I want to love my job.

I don't want to think of it as work or that I have to go into the office in the morning. I want to look forward to being there.

Now, I know in this economy and with my major, I should be happy with whatever I get, but I don't think one should live one's life like that-- settling for whatever is most convenient. You have to challenge yourself and {yes I know this has been said a thousand and eight times, but} dream big. Think beyond what you think is reachable and aim for the impossible. Because, hey, why not?

If you have a passion for something, you should follow it. That enthusiasm, that drive, that keeps you working towards your goal will show through when you walk into that interview for the company you've always loved so that even if your major isn't quite right for the position they're looking for or your resume/skill set isn't quite as developed as they might like, they will be able to tell that you want it and you'll be willing to work hard to get it.

I don't know what I'm going to end up doing after college. I do know that I think strategically and outside the box enough that I will be aiming for the jobs, companies, and positions that not every kid graduating college will be applying for. Because they won't think of it. It helps to make a list of the companies you love; somewhere on that list there has to be at least a few that have positions that will work for you. Don't limit yourself.

---

If I were to follow that advice up there and do what I do in my free time professionally, I would be... *thinks*... blogging. Designing with words and pictures. Spending my days photographing people/places/things. Organizing things. Reading. *laughs* And getting a ridiculous amount of sleep... {naps are to college students what trashcans are to UCLA squirrels-- essential}.

If I could get paid for any of those things, I'd do it.

And the crazy thing is, I can. I could actually be paid to do those things every day if I put more time and effort into honing my skills and learning techniques and things that would make those dreams more possible.

We'll see. Maybe after college.

*grins*

No comments:

Post a Comment