Monday, January 30, 2012

More Public Speaking Madness

You know those times when someone says something mean to you and you just can't think of the proper comeback, some snappy retort that'll show them what for?

Sometimes giving speeches is like that. You realize all the things you could have improved only after you've stepped away from the podium. Better topic choice, clearer enunciation, increased variation in tone, more natural movement.

My second speech for Comm 1 {Public Speaking} was today. I hoped and prayed that everyone before me would take forever so that I could go Wednesday, but no such luck.

It wasn't that I was unprepar-- okay, yeah, it was. I wrote the darn thing between eleven pm last night and four this morning. My only practice was in the hour I had between class this morning and when I had to give my speech. I was completely unprepared.

And that was entirely my fault.

I'm not going to lie. Goodness, after twenty years of living with myself, you don't think I know myself well enough to know when something was entirely my fault and there are no excuses that could banish the situation I got myself into? I was over-confident about my ability to bust out a speech and have it down pat and had convinced myself that I wasn't going to go Monday {today} anyways, so why bother?

Thank goodness I decided to err on the side of caution {albeit last minute} and write out a speech, a speech plan, and create a visual aid.  Never again. Next time, self, you'd better underestimate yourself 'cause staying up until after four am to finish a project and then going to bed at almost six because you have to take a shower is no bueno.

That was lame.

And now I need a nap.

Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment