Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Calm After the Storm

{so treasure it or wait for it}
The thing about being social after a long period of not, is that life seems very loud once you start up again.

In the past two days, I've gone to two big events that require a bubbly, talkative, people-person personality.

I'm normally good with that.

I like people & I like talking, so it usually works out pretty well.

But honestly, at the moment, I'm so tired.

Not physically, though we have done a lot of walking lately, but just mentally drained.

Over extended.

Depleted.

I realize this is kind of a depressing post, but it's really not meant to be.

It's more of a, this is what can happen when you go back to school, type reality.

You see people that you're supposed to be excited to see, so you are. You see people you don't know, so you introduce yourself. You see people you don't normally talk to all that often, but since it's the start of a new year, you strike up a conversation anyways.

And putting yourself on display like that all the time for hours on end is really, really... you feel kind of empty after.

The upside to all of this though {and really, at this point, I must think about the upside, because my brain is quite tired and sad}, is that the beginning of school means getting to know people better as time goes on.

By the end of the year, I'll have made new friends. I'll have more people I can wave to on Bruinwalk and get a friendly "hello!" in response. I'll have stretched past my comfort zone of today and I'll have learned something about human nature and reciprocity.

What I feel right now is not what I'll necessarily feel tomorrow. Or next week. Or next month.

What I feel now is temporary.

It's something to remember, both when I'm feeling elated and when I want to cry, because it reminds me to make the most of the happy times and don't let the hurt feelings get me too down.

I'm so tired right now, but tomorrow... or later today, however you'd like to view it, is another day & another chance to make it better, right?

I dearly hope so.

G'night all.

See you in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment