Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Independence!

My mom and I watched this 4th of July TV special earlier today and it was really fun-- how in the world Burt Wolf got himself invited to all these events is a mystery, but he is rather hilarious.

And I don't know about you, but I can hear the fireworks going off all over the place.  That includes from our neighbors' backyard and it's freaking out Zoe so much that she's been under my chair for the past an hour and a half-- bad neighbors!

On the other hand, the sound of fireworks and backyard barbeques to me is the noise of summer. It's these that make me think heatwaves and beaches and all the summer cliche goodness you can possibly think of. July 4th means family and friends and warm summer nights and mosquito bites and is the yearly reminder that my birthday's just around the corner... and that I'm growing up and should be maturing (ha!). It's happy and sobering all at the same time. Especially because it's a day to remember all that has been paid to make our freedom and this celebration possible.

Happy 4th of July, everyone!


{Proud to be an American}

"These are the times that try men's souls and the price of freedom is high."
Thomas Paine, 1776

No comments:

Post a Comment